Sunday, April 27, 2014

New Business Processes for Situational Awareness

About a year and a half ago, I published a post singing Google Reader's praises. Then, Google discontinued it. A few months later, I discussed Feedly. I like Feedly, and I've loaded it with a lot of RSS feeds. One challenge I run into is that Feedly's website isn't really compatible with my Kindle Fire. Feedly has an app for the Kindle Fire, and I may try it at some point, but LinkedIn Pulse (or, rather, a version from before LinkedIn bought Pulse) is an inextricable inclusion on my Kindle.

I configured Pulse a while ago, but it's needed some adjustment for a while. What I've decided to do is to use Pulse as a sort of "Feedly Lite". When I'm out and about, or if I'm away from the house overnight and don't want to take a laptop with me, I can use Pulse on my Kindle to keep abreast of major news items. I'll leave some of the more in-depth stuff (particularly the stuff that only updates occasionally) solely in my Feedly feed for review when I'm on a laptop. So, what have I prioritized for my "Feedly Lite" Pulse feed?

Global
BBC News - World (RSS)
CNN.com - WORLD (RSS)
BBC News - NE Scotland, Orkney & Shetland (RSS)
Michael J. Totten's blog (RSS)
Michael Yon - Online Magazine (RSS)
1913 Intel (RSS)
BBC Newshour podcast (RSS)
BBC Global News Podcast (RSS)

MENA
BBC News - Middle East (RSS)
CNN.com - WORLD/Middle East (RSS)
al Jazeera English (RSS)
Times Of Oman (RSS)
Oman Observer (RSS)
Kuwait Times (RSS)
Arab Times (RSS)

Strategery
Spacewar.com (RSS)
Small Wars Journal (RSS)
The Long War Journal (Site-Wide) (RSS)
War on the Rocks (RSS)
War is Boring - Medium (RSS)
WIRED » Danger Room (RSS)
WIRED » Threat Level (RSS)
Kevin Hanrahan (RSS)

Leisure
Musings from a Stonehead (RSS)
xkcd.com (RSS)
AmazingSuperPowers (RSS)
Ctrl+Alt+Del (RSS)
Wondermark (RSS)
Terminal Lance (RSS)
Romantically Apocalyptic (RSS)
Penny Arcade (RSS)
Explosm.net (RSS)
GoComics.com - Pearls Before Swine by Stephan Pastis (RSS)
Filibuster Cartoons (RSS)

Pulchritude
Open Source IMINT (RSS)
APOD (RSS)
Flickr: The U.S. Army (RSS)
Flickr: Official U.S. Navy Imagery (RSS)
Flickr: United States Marine Corps Official Page (RSS)
Flickr: Defence Images (RSS)
Flickr: Callum McKain (RSS)
Flickr: chimpaction (RSS)
Flickr: Orkneyjar (RSS)
Sometimes, a thorough news review with Feedly can take around an hour. With this Pulse setup, I can get caught up in fifteen or twenty minutes. It took a bit of work to get it all sorted out, but it should hopefully be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment