Monday, October 28, 2013

Google Searching and Privacy Online

A few years ago, I attended a lecture by Jeremy Duffy, The Geek Professor. The specific seminar I attended discussed the sheer volume of information that one can find online, and then went into some of the specifics of how one goes about searching for that data. Most interesting to me was some of the guidance on targeted searching that Duffy replicates in his guide on How To Hunt Someone Like A Dog On the Internet. It's definitely worth a read, and it's fairly brief. So, why am I posting this? Several reasons:

1) Jeremy Duffy does a great seminar, and I'm pleased to advertise for him.*

2) This guide gives some fantastic tips for how to use Google and other search engines more efficiently. The quoted search and site search techniques, particularly when combined, have made my searching much more effective since I began using them after attending Duffy's lecture.

3) The guide shows how much of your own personal information (or, if you're in the security industry, other information about your facility or operation) is available online; and it shows just how easy it is to find.

This should concern you; but, even more than that, it should give you the information necessary to empower you. Duffy has another online guide entitled CTRL-Z – How to Reclaim Your Privacy From the Internet, available either as a seminar, or from a few additional guides that are linked on the page. Go have a look.

* Special thanks to my friend and associate, Sam-Wise, who helped to jog my memory about Duffy's website. I still have my notes from that lecture - somewhere - but it's not available, so Sam-Wise's help was excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment