Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Just for Fun: The Sporkful on War Zone Eating

This post is just for fun. Sometimes, I enjoy listening to The Sporkful podcast, which is about food. It's kind of an inside joke, as my perpetual boss once bought me a titanium spork, which replaced an MRE spoon I'd been using to eat lunch at work since I'd gotten there. (It may have actually been the second MRE spoon - those things are great, but they're not indestructible.) Anyway, a couple of months ago, The Sporkful did a pretty entertaining podcast on "War Zone Eating", and even though it's not directly related to risk management, I figured I'd share it in the "just for fun" category.

My own tenure overseas didn't involve a single MRE, much to my chagrin. However, an earlier era of my career involved a lot of MREs. My favorite tip for eating an MRE involves the packaging for most of your main courses. The packaging wants you to open it at the top, where there are two perforations. Resist that urge! Instead, turn the packaging ninety degrees, then take out your favorite blade - a KA-BAR will do the trick, but something smaller like a CRKT M4-02W is a lot better suited to the task - and cut along the long edge. This will make the "bowl" created by the opened foil pouch long and shallow, instead of deep and narrow. Guess which one is easier to get at with your MRE spoon? If you said "long and shallow", you're correct.

By the way, I can't recommend the titanium spork highly enough. It's unquestionably one of the best gifts I've ever received in my life. If you want to manage your risk of needing a great eating utensil under any circumstance, you can't go wrong with a titanium spork that fits into any day pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment