Monday, April 9, 2012

Ironic Music from IRIB

I recently discovered that Iran's strategic communications agency, Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting (IRIB), has finally started offering its programs as both streaming audio and as podcasts. It's noteworthy that it took Iran at least a decade to catch up to the BBC, which had mastered both streaming audio and podcasting nearly a decade ago. I downloaded the Thursday, 29 March 2012 "Voice of Justice" program and burned it to an audio CD. I used to regularly listen to the IRIB's "Voice of Justice" program via shortwave radio when I lived in Virginia, but that signal was difficult to tune in on the East Coast, and I have little hope that I'll be able to tune in now that I'm back on the West Coast.

While listening, I was surprised to recognize some of the buffer music from one of the news segments. I checked on YouTube and confirmed that, sure enough, IRIB was using Alan Silvestri's theme from the 1986 Chuck Norris film The Delta Force as buffer music for their propaganda broadcasts. For those who are unaware, the real Delta Force's first mission was Operation Eagle Claw, the failed attempt to rescue the Americans held in the Iran Hostage Crisis. Reality is truly stranger than fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment